Sunday 20 October 2013

When I grow up...

'What do you want to be when you grow up?' It's one of those questions that gets asked a lot. In fact, I think it was one of the very first questions we got asked at primary school. Of course, when I was that young I came up with all stupid ideas. 'Oh, oh, a princess!' was a running theme for the girls, and 'Well I want to be a footballer!' was pretty much the general reply from any of the boys. Evidently as we grew older, we began to say different things, come up with more practical jobs and hardly any of us wanted to do the same thing. From year three to year five I had my heart set on becoming an Egyptologist. Why? Absolutely no idea. I started collecting books, immersing myself in facts and learning all the hieroglyphics. Instead of having pictures of myself and my friends, I had fact sheets and drawings - anything and everything to do with Egypt would enter my life at some stage. Of course, I've grown out of that - sure, I still have all the books and stuff lurking about under my bed, but I don't look at it any more. Then came the phase of being an author - I just had to be one, and so I set to work on drafting ideas, starting out hundreds of stories and never finishing them. I've always been an avid reader, but this time I was obsessed with becoming an author. And, like many other hair-brained plans, it crashed and burned and once more I became boring old me, with no life ambitions and a lack of direction.

Sure, over the years I've wanted to be many things; from a vet to a cartoonist, a party planner to a games-tester, pretty much anything I could think of. However, now I've had to 'grow up' and start preparing for the exams that really do have my future hanging over them, I've had to think more seriously. Gone are the days when I was just a little girl dreaming up big, and pretty impossible, careers - I've had to really decide what I want to do and why.

And so, slightly stemming from my Egyptology and Paleontology days, I honestly can say when I'm older I'd like to be an archaeologist. The past has always fascinated me. I went to YAC (young archaeologist club) when I was younger and dear me I will always remember the day we got to go to an actual excavation. Ah, the simple joy of digging up your own piece of history was bliss. I sound very nostalgic here, it's true, but  honestly I fell in love with it. So, with that in mind, I'd love to take a course in Archaeology at Cambridge Anglia Ruskin University. It's close enough to home that I wouldn't have the worries of rent looming onto me, staying at home and putting up with the early commute instead. And after that? Well, nobody can truly have their live planned out and then follow every part of said plan perfectly, creating their oh-so-perfect life. So to end this rather long winded post, I pose the same question to you: What would you like to do when you're older? I would say something along the lines of 'anything is possible', but I doubt you could have a career in fangirling, eh?

TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. probably a photographer, and oh i wISH there was a career set for fangirling..if only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you wanted to be a cartoonist, you even copyrighted that bug thing you used to draw when we were in Ireland

    ReplyDelete